Tips for Removing and Preventing Pink Shower Film

As you're showering or taking a bath, you may notice a slimy, pink film in your shower or tub. Often known as "pink mold," this type of film can cause permanent damage to your natural stone shower. 

What is it?

Pink film is actually bacteria called Serratia marcescens. While it is usually pink, it can also be orange or orange-red in color. These airborne bacteria prefer damp conditions, such as your shower, toilet, and other bathroom areas. It also feeds on fatty, phosphorus materials found in soap and shampoo.

Geting rid of pink shower film

Thankfully, getting rid of pink film is rather simple. Just follow these steps:

  1. Spray the affected area with bleach
  2. Leave the bleach on for a few minutes
  3. Use a brush to remove the film
  4. Rinse thoroughly

Preventing Pink Shower Film

While removing pink film is easy, it's best to prevent it at all costs. To do this, regularly wash your shower or tub with a stone-safe cleaner. Daily care removes the food source and makes the environment less hospitable. As a result, this will prevent the bacteria from reappearing.

To learn more about how to care for your natural stone properly, read through our blog or contact Stone Makeover today.

  • SurpHaces PRO Partner. Click to verify.
  • Certified SafeandCompliant.net Company. Click to verify.
  • yelp